Decision time for Laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys,
At present I have the following:
Dell Dimension 5150 fitted with Dual Core Pentium D/820 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1024 RAM, 160 Serial ATA ( 7200 rpm ) , XP Media Centre Edition SP3, Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz processor and

Acer 1355 XC with 800 MHz AMD Athlon XP, 30 GB Toshiba MK3021 GAS HD, 512 RAM, Agere Systems AC 97 Modem, 1394 Net Adapter via Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter.
Both systems are approx 5 years old.
I was considering upgrading the Acer to 100 GB HD, 1MB RAM and buying Windows XP as my OS. Having looked on line, this would be approx £150 to complete. I would like to network them to save my ears being bashed because the Dell is upstairs and she who must be obeyed is downstairs ;)

Would it be worth spending money on the Acer?
Would you recommend Netscape N or Belkin?
The Dell runs on Plusnet Broadband at 6.5 Mbps
Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Given that you can spend double your £150 (still a paltry £300) and get quite a good laptop with XP and better spec than you can ever upgrade your Acer to, I wouldn't bother upgrading it. All the athlon laptops I've had have had power supplies the size of house bricks whereas a modern centrino will be much smaller. You ahve to consider too that other components are getting to the end of their useful lives, such as the battery or screen backlight

Upgrading laptops other than adding memory if you can get it cheap, is a waste of money,

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - the Acer deal looks good :D
For networking, would you prefer Netscape or Belkin ?

Steve

Back