Decking advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm planning to deck over an area which is bounded on three sides by walls (although one of these belongs to my next door neighbour). It's about an 11ft by 11ft area, and the deck will be about 18" off the ground. One of the walls has french windows opening on to where the deck will be.

Should I use a ledger board on just one of the walls, or two(I can't use my neighbours wall)? Also, what are the best bolts to use to attach the ledger board - it's going onto a stone/brick wall?

Any guidance greatly appreciated - most of the stuff I have seen is from the USA, and they just assume that the ledger board is being bolted into timber.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yep use the boards, very easy and quick way of doing it. Best to use either expanding anchor bolts or threaded rod with a chemical adhesive set into the wall

Thermo, thanks for the response. Should I use ledger boards on the two walls or just one? Also, I was going to use a 47*150 Board - will that be enough, or should I double it up (I have to do this at the other end)?

Ta

one of off each wall, and that size will be more than adequate

Sponsored Links
Thermo,

this is going to seem like a pretty stupid question, but..............

What size of bolts should I use? I have searched online suppliers, but there is no real indication of what sizes would be suitable.

Thanks

best to use something in the region of an M10 (thats 10mm diameter) x 120mm deep.

not a stupid question at all by the way

Thanks for your help - it's the sort of information that none of the 'How to..' articles seem to tell you.

Just to confirm what I think you know already ... You must not attach anything to the neighbours wall and be sure not to compromise their DPC with your decking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back