Decking in my garden + level (and turf) PIC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have been wanting to do something with our back garden since we moved in 6 weeks ago. My daughter is running about now so want to make it simple and safe.

photo-4.jpg

1. I want to get decking at the back where the raised bit is. and one step from one side to the other.
2. I want to get rid of the 4 clothes poles and all the concrete slabs.
3. I want to get rid of all the plants
4. I want to level the lower grass bit and re-turf
5. Put new fencing at either side of the stairs
6. Put a gate at the top and bottom of the stairs

The problem is that i got a quote for all this and it comes to £2000! (£1500 for the decking, £500 for the turf). The bottom grass area is roughly 45m2. Thats why i am looking to do myself. Can anyone give me an tips for the above points? The thing about the decking is that i notice that the brick work isnt level that its going on... Where would i cement the posts?

Any help/input/suggestions would be very very much appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
are you aware that if your decking exceeds 300mm above the natural highest point it covers
or covers greater than 50% off the garden along with sheds garages and extensions it requires planning permission
i don't think it will apply in this situation but am not quite sure off the area covered by decking :eek:

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. From you information, its definately below 300mm and it doesnt take up more than 50% of the garden. So i won't need planning permission. My wife works for the council anyway so we have direct access :)

Any help with the rest of the questions please?

Is the decking just going to be the depth of the raised section from the bricks back?

It's going to be quite narrow!

I assume when you mention one step, you mean that you want the decking to go down one step as it goes across the raised section?

In which case, there appears to be a natural fall anyway, so why don't you break out the bricks and set the joists on concrete pads, that way you won't need posts.

Not sure what you are asking when you say where would I concrete the posts ??

As for the turf, the grass doesn't look that bad, why don't you just turf the sections where you remove the paving slabs and fertilise the grass that's there?

One thing is for sure, the easiest part of your wish list will be removing all the plants - I can only see 2.
:LOL: :LOL:

Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
I got a decent price for the decking so think i am getting someone in to do it. Going to put up the fence and gates myself though.

Any tips on this, looking at the pic?
It will be a fence either side of the stairs. Would I be better mounting the posts on the existing concrete wall?
Or put the posts sunken into the grass (concreted in)?
How many posts would i need? and would 6by6 be sufficient? Its going to be a 3 foot fence either side.

Also i am undecided whether to get rid of the existing handrail for something more modern. Any help would be appreciated!

Going to do the turfing myself as was quoted 450 for this alone!!

Can anyone see a reason why I couldn't knock away the raised bit at the back? Is it there to retain the soil from the hill behind? Used for drainage?

you could happily do it as it doesn't look a big difference in level. Your one issue would be weakening the fence posts.

If they are 18inches in the ground and you take away say 10 inches the fence will probably blow over.

If you can leave a good 2 feet around them it would probably be fine though.

I noticed today that the back fence posts are wobbily anyway. So i think they will need replaced anyway...

So do you think the raised bit at the back served any purpose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back