Decking onto concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had intended to remove the patio at the rear of my house and install a small amount of decking in its place using the post method, however, when I removed the two patios laid on top of each other! I discovered the original concrete slab in good condition which makes building the deck a lot easier.

Anyhow, my question is does it need securing or not? I've read in places I could leave it floating and the weight will hold it in place, however I think I would rather have it secured down to the ground properly.

Would you secure it? and if so what kind of fixing would you use?

Sponsored Links
I always secure somewhere, to stop the whole thing moving laterally. If you can attach it to say, the house, then no need to attach it to the concrete too.

If you are putting the legs straight on the concrete then wrap the bottom end in a bit of roofing felt or put them on slate, this should stop any damp problems, although you should treat the ends anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back