Decking onto concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some, well quite a lot, of unsightly concrete I wish to deck over.

Some of it is at different hights, and some is slightly sloped.

If I am to build the frame, how do I secure it to the concrete? Do I just rely on the weight of the decking?

Also, do I raise the frame off the concrete with something, e.g. bits of slate tiles to a) level the decking out b) keep the wood off the damp?

Do I need to keep it away from exterior walls in order to not breech the damp course?

Thanks for any pointers. I can only seem to find info on decking ontop of grass.

Sponsored Links
thanks masona. that answers a lot of it. secure any timbers that run along the walls with framing anchors of rawl bolts. Build the outside edges of the frame first. any edges that are not tied into masonry can be supported on timber blocks resting on the concrete. I normaly use 75 x 75 posts for this. Lift the frame so it is level and then just a few mm higher before you secure the post to the frame. That will ensure it doesnt rock. Now build the rest of the framework. Once thats done now put more support posts in as appropriate using teh same method. The more posts the better. once youve done them, walk all over the frame and youll feel any movement. If you do put another posts in. takes a bit of time but theres nothing worse than a rocking deck.

Hope that makes sense.

Thinks its about time i did a few stickys! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back