Decking over an eyesore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have an area in my garden which is a real eyesore. It is approx 1.25 x 2.5 metres. I was wondering whether I could try to build a small decking area over it but i have no idea how to prep the area first. It is full of rubble and also has a drain manhole and the concrete frame around it has broken down. Is decking viable? If so how do I get this surface suitably prepared? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200517_103902.jpg
    20200517_103902.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
Given the size, it would be easier to lay some coloured gravel or pebbles. Would be a 10 minute job then.

Go with MB on this one. Whatever you do decide to do, (decking, soil, peddles etc), you will need to remove all that rubble.
Level out whats underneath as best you can then put down 2 layers of weed control matting and spread some pebbles/stones over the whole area. You can then plant out a few pots and put them on there for decoration. Easy to maintain and still have access to the manhole, (obviously because you don't cover with stones but can stand some pots on to disguise it).

Bye the way - is the manhole just for your property or a shared drain. If it is shared then your water company will replace it for free ! The law changed a few years ago so any shared drain is their responsibility - worth checking out.
For the patio, i would suggest sledge hammer the rubble into smaller pieces, lay weed control fabric then sharp sand and slabs to match the level of the rest of the patio. Avoid decking - horrible stuff, slippery when wet and rots away within a few years. In any case it needs joists underneath which means you would have to dig out quite a bit of rubble.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Gravel sounds like a good option that I hadn't even thought about. Re the drain, it does connect to the row of houses so will perhaps pick that up with water company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back