Decking over soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon,
I'm planning on laying Finnforest softwood decking over loose soil (previously a veg patch), however I've had conflicting suggestions on how to prepare the base before laying the decking.

I've been advised of the possible options:
- weed membrane + gravel
- paving stones
- concrete slab
- timber "feet" based in concrete

Please advise if anyone has had experience with this situation and the best possible way to proceed.

Thanks, Shannon

Sponsored Links
we always build them with timber posts set in concrete, unless there is any substantial wall to put a wall plate onto. we then place a decent quality fabric such as plantex, over the frame

Excuse me for being dim, but there aren't any posts that are provided with the decking kit. Can I assume that you create a set of posts which act as supports for the deck to rest upon? If so, I guess the supports are sunk in concrete by approx 6" with approx 2" above the soil?

you can use timber or concrete posts which finish at joist height, and support the frame. Or you can use longer posts, which you sink into the ground, and support the frame, but also act as posts for your rails.

The key is getting your posts far enough into the ground.

To be honest, i'm a bit unsure about your measurements, if you mean inches ("), then 6 inches in the ground and 2 inches above doesn't seem right - and if you mean feet, then i think 6 foot into the ground is far too much. I'd say you'd need 2 feet in the ground, and above ground whatever height your decking is.
(please be aware, i am a DIYer, not a pro)

Sponsored Links
have you got a link to the kit. It sounds like one of those wonderful ones which lay directly on the ground, and then rot away after a few years!

The depth of the posts is not the issue - its the overall stability that counts.

That kit should be laid on slabs that you have placed at the right points, at precisley the right height, and which won't subsequently move. No mean feat for a diyer.

Or, you can buy a few 8' long 4" x 4" treated posts from B & Q and use those to support the deck. You'll have to sink these down at least as far as the bottom of the top soil, and use concrete to stabilise them.

Use the search facility and you'll find lods of "posts" (if you'll pardon the pun) that describe how to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back