decking paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys just wonderng if someone could help me!!
Can ordinary fence paint be used to paint wooden decking in the garden!??
I ask this because i have been looking at decking paint and it is about twice as expensive for a tub than ordinary fence paint which is also twice the size!!!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, well it can but due to wear and tear will look awful in about 4 weeks.

Proper Decking oil or woodstain (matt) will soak into the wood and treat it alot better. It should last 3/4 years.

I did mine last year 3.6x3.6m deck cost £15 a tin (wickes had 25% off all woodstains) and i used 2 tins. And it looks great now.

My dad did what you are gonna do and it looks awful.

But it's up to you spend £5 now on a tin and paint it 3 times a year or spend £20 on a tin and stain it every 3/4 years.

Also unless you really want to dont stain it a colour (blue,green etc) it will look alot better with a wood colour (oak, pine etc)

It would depend on what you consider to be ordinary fence paint?
If by that you mean a water based (Wash your brushes under the tap) type then no it would indeed look awful in a very short time. However if you mean an oil based wood preserver then yes you could use it but it's not ideal. It's also better to go for the stain type of preserver too rather than the paint type because they could prove slippery in the wet. Decking paint is a special formula to prevent it from getting slippery under foot.

decking oil every time. Looks better and it nourishes the wood to make it last longer.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
decking oil every time. Looks better and it nourishes the wood to make it last longer.

Definately, try Osmocote, expensive but very good stuff. Still requires an occasional maintenance to keep up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back