Decking questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning a deck in my back garden instead of a patio and I have a few questions I can't find the answers to.
I have already dug down 150mm in prep for the cancelled patio. Can I put down some flag stones as a base and rest the deck legs on these?
Do I need to attach it to my house? It will run along the walls below the height of the back door and will be surrounded by a retaining wall.

I plan (unless other suggestions come) to build the frame and level the base stones, every meter. Rest the frame, joists, noggins ect on the stones and then lay the boards. Does it nee attaching to anything or can it just lay there??

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The weight of it will keep it in place, just make sure no water can sit on the flag stones. Make certain rain will drain away ok before decking

I did a similar job last year . I decided to use 4x4 posts spaced every 1 to 1.5 meters apart , and concreted them into the ground , rather than sit on the existing patio . I just worked out where the posts would be , and dug up the flags in those positions . My frame then fixed to the posts , with joists about 18" apart

Its absolutely rock solid and Im very happy with it - Im not sure it would have been as good sat on the stones - it may settle slightly and become unstable .

I used 6 x 2 for my frame , and screwed one to the house wall - just gives you a good solid starting point .

I just think a bit of extra work at this stage will pay dividends in the long run . Good luck ! :)

Do I need to attach my deck to the house wall??
It is going to be a maximum or 3" off the ground and attached to concreted 4x4 posts. I can't find any info as to why it should or shouldn't.
I don't want to do this as I'm not overly confident drilling into my new house!!!

Sponsored Links
Its up to tyou , really . I just thought it made it easier , as then you`ll know the edge of your deck will be solid .
You might not be able to get a post in the ground close to your house due to the foundations , then you`ll have a foot or two overhanging your posts . As long as you can make it solid , it doesnt really matter :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back