decking questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken up a load of 100yr old concrete to lower the ground enough to take my decking under the back step.

The decking I'm putting down will be surrounded on 3 sides by walls. But will be independent of these walls - it wont be attached to them but it will abutt them.

Anyway, which way is the best way to lay the boards? Something is telling me to lay the boards left to right, due to grip - most traffic will be front to back. But this will make it hard to sweep debris off the deck, so the boards should be laid front to back so the muck can be swept off the end. Any thoughts?

Also, as I now have bare earth under the deck, what should I do to deter weeds? Some kind of landscape fabric?

Sponsored Links
I don't think the direction of the boards will make much difference to the grip levels to be honest.

The nicest looking decks, in my opinion, are those layed diagonally.

Yes definitely get a rool of weed barrier to do underneither the deck and ensure it's pinned down.

I'd go with whatever you think looks best I personally like parallel with your french doors if applicable or left to right as I think you also mean. Have a google, I can appreciate where you're coming from with the sweeping though. Decking won't be slippery if regularly kept well cleaned unless its frosty, in which case it can be an ice rink no matter which way its laid.

as an aside
leave a 12mm gap all round between timber and wall
this includes the board sided and ends
and if you fix any timber on a wall space it off the wall 12mm

Sponsored Links
Similar question here - If I lay a deck 4m from house to end and 10m from left to right, with decking running parallel with house. Which way should the fall be? Instinct says away from the house but would the water not just sit in the grooves?

There would be no point in the fall running across the grooves, if you think about it.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back