Decking & removal of stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we built our decking some years ago I rather stupidly used water based stain. Basically with the last few harsh winters it is crap and needs re-doing every year. I'd like to get some oil/solvent based stain/oil on there, but it looks like I need to remove all the old covering before I can do that. I've tried a jetwash turned up to eleven, and although it probably would work it will take an age. I've got a handheld belt sander so I could go over with that, but it will only do the tops. I don't fancy using wire wool by hand on 30m^2 of decking! Then I wondered if I could hire a portable sand blaster, but that may do more harm than good!

Anyone any ideas of a either a way to get the old stuff off or better product that can go over the top?

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I find the best way is to scape it with the face of the person who told you staining it was a good idea.

Sorry i have nothing helpful to add. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back