Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new here, can anyone please tell me what would be the difference between using Cuprinol wood preserver over an oil. I have just had a large amount of decking constructed from tantalised timber, the builder says I need do nothing to it and it will last 15 year plus. The problem is that I would like to change the colour, as I am sure you know tantalised timber has two our three different shades. I cant see by treating this decking it would do any harm. The cost of treating the decking with oil would be very expensive and would not give me the colour I want. However I am confused by the different types of preservative and which one to use and why, as in my mind wood is wood be it on a fence a shed or decking why so many different types? I have used Cuprinol on two of my sheds which has performed very well you can see the water just running off the wood when it rains.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
firstly the builder is right it doesnt need anything doing to it now. I always recomend customers give it a clean down and oil it once a year. the oil helps to nourish the wood and helps it prolong the life.

give it a few weeks and all the timber will go a golden colour in the sunlight and all look the same. If you want to use a stain on it, then remeber that colours are difficult to change and also they wear very quickly.

Have to agree with Thermo on this one - stains look ruddy awful before a whole season has gone by. Get some clear decking oil (or lightly tinted, if you prefer).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back