Decolite Warmaline adhesive -Vencel Resil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I felt I had to post some sort of warning to anyone who might be considering using this product as an adhesive to stick polystyrene veneer to walls and ceilings, though by the time a search has found this post, it might well be too late.

Some years ago I'd previously decorated our bathroom using polystyrene veneer stuck on the two exterior walls and ceiling using a tub of standard ready mixed adhesive, cross-lined, woodchip then emulsion paint. Overall it lasted well but behind the toilet cistern some lifting of the veneer occurred over time. The veneer I'd put on the ceiling remained well fixed even though subjected to the humidity from daily showers. To reduce the condensation from the toilet about a year ago I'd fitted an extractor fan and humidistat. In winter this noticeably reduced the amount of water condensing on the double glazed windows overnight and in the plastic trough I'd made to catch condensation from the toilet cistern.

In the last couple of weeks I've stripped the walls and ceiling, pva sealant, Warmaline veneer applied using their own adhesive, cross-lined, then Superfresco prior to emulsion paint. I'd allowed over 3 days for the veneer to dry and plenty of drying for the other stages. I'd kept the room well ventilated with the extractor fan on though we have had cold weather recently.

Today to my dismay I discovered that the veneer had already started to lift in one corner of the room and also there were several small areas on the ceiling and around parts of the window that were loose. I was thinking I was going to have to remove the whole lot. Fortunately I had some Hombase Border and Overlap adhesive which had enough strength.

In my experience Warmaline adhesive isn't strong enough to support much weight yet It's rather nasty stuff if you leave it on your tools. I had to use De-Solv-it Sticky Stuff remover to clean up. In future I'll use ordinary heavy duty adhesive to fix veneer.

Sponsored Links
I'm posting this as I've not found anything exactly matching it on a forum search - and also need to warn people.
I'm currently doing out two gable end rooms with warmaline on those walls which are exterior ones and ceilings due to there being no possibility of them having conventional insulation fitted (one is simply fibre board beneath a concerte roof and the other fibre board underneath the roof tiles).

Using the proprietory warmaline adhesive on the walls has worked out fine, but one of the rooms has a flat concrete roof and there is not enough room to add thick insulation, so we are using the 7mm thick "Decoroll" product for the ceilings. It's made by the same people (Vencel Resil) as Warmaline and recommends you use Warmaline adhesive. Well, it's rubbish! The stuff is simply not strong enough to carry the weight of the 7mm ceiling product. Because of "beams" across the flat ceiling, I am having to cut it into 600mm x 1000mm lengths, so we are not even talking a long, heavy length. As much as we try, we simply cannot get the approved adhesive to hold the weight of even a small amount of Decoroll. I suspect I may have to try with proper PVA or even coving adhesive perhaps.
Checked out the Vencel Resil web site and if you want tech support you have to pay a preium rate call! (presumably to be told to use thier adhesive - the one which is not working) Considering how many years the product has been around, you really think they'd be on top of the adhesive issue!

PVA - sorted it in one. Nipped down my local builders merchants and bought a 5 litre tub. Job done!

There are some postings on the net claiming that PVA melts polystyrene, but I've personaly not found that to be the case in the past or now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back