Decorating a bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My bathroom is approx 9' by 6'. When we bought the house 15 months ago, the surveyor advised that the ventilation within the bathroom was inadequate.

After having a shower, one of the walls (the same wall that the window is on) is always dripping wet. The wallpaper has since peeled off, and the wall underneath appears to have been affected by the damp (there are black marks, whereas the rest of the wall is a grey colour).

The other 2 untiled walls don't get noticeably wet after having a shower. The other wall is tiled.

My questions are:

1. Why does only the one wall get noticeably wet?

2. Would tiling the affected wall be a suitable solution? I obviously don't want to re-paper it as the same thing will happen again.

3. If not, what would you suggest to improve the ventilation? An airbrick of some kind, or maybe an extractor fan?

4. Does anyone know why the wall under the paper is grey rather than the usual plaster colour?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The wall that gets wet is the coldest.
If you put tiles on the steam will still condense & run to the bottom.
You may need an extractor.
Have you tried having the window open a little?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back