Decorating bathroom tomorrow - method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Over the past 6 months my bathroom wall (the external one) has started to flake. I believe it is finished in either vinyl silk or bathroom paint. The plaster underneath it looks fine, the flaking is obviously caused by condensation on the walls. I am therefore intending to have an extractor fan fitted soon, although would say the bathroom is adequately ventilated via the window at present.

Having read the various posts on the topic, I am minded to avoid bathroom paint but instead use a high quality vinyl silk emulsion, or a water based eggshell.

Intended methodology is:
1. Rub all walls down with fine sandpaper
2. Clean thoroughly with sugar soap
3. Apply chosen paint directly onto walls (one or two coats)

Any comments on:
- choice of finish
- can new paint be applied directly onto existing finish assuming it has been sanded down to give a key
- Should I apply a mist coat or primer?
- How long should I leave everything before it is safe to use the shower and bath again? 24 hours?

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
choice of finish

Sounds ok but do bear in mind anything with a sheen will highlight imperfections in the wall surface.

can new paint be applied directly onto existing finish assuming it has been sanded down to give a key

Yeh no problems there...

Should I apply a mist coat or primer?

As you are rubbing the walls down then you should be ok with just applying the paint you choose.....but make sure you rub the lot down to remove the sheen, or you may end up with cracking.

How long should I leave everything before it is safe to use the shower and bath again? 24 hours?

Sounds about right.

Good luck..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back