Decorating Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
New to the forum - wish i'd found it months ago :confused:

I need a bit of advice with my bedroom ceiling.
I started peeling away some of the wallpaper that was covering it, but after ripping down the lath and plaster kitchen ceiling and having it re-boarded I am loath to do the same in the bedroom.
The plasterer I had in to do the kitchen suggested I don't bother removing the wallpaper from the ceiling as this could easily lead me to having to rip the thing down.

Unfortunately, he didn't offer any alternative suggestions....

I thought about artexing it, or painting it with a really thick textured emulsion, or getting some sort of ceiling tiles... not sure which is the best way to go...
Am I kidding myself that I can leave the existing wallpaper on?
Any suggestions gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Whats the problem with the ceiling?..does the paper look bad?...or is the whole ceiling uneven?....are there hollow areas you suspect may be loose?

If your happy with the look of the ceiling and its sound...then leave it....if your happy with the look but you suspect the laths and plaster have parted company....then id suggest you take it down....before it fails down.

You dont have to remove the existing ceiling though....there are two other ways I know of...

1 Reboard over the top of the existing ceiling...its a cheaper way out....but make sure non of the joints run over any uneveness caused by plaster that has come away from the lathes..this method is ok if the ceiling is still dead flat

2. Build a framework a few inches down from the ceiling and board onto that instead....you may lose a little height....but at least you wont have all the mess and debris of the old ceiling to cope with.

Artex.....nah....it only 'cures' problems with minor surface defects....

Textured emulsion....you'l regret it beleive me!

Thanks for the reply.

The main problem is that some of the wall paper on the ceiling has been ripped off, mainly around the edges near the wall. Otherwise, I'd have painted it.
The bits that have been ripped off reveal a ceiling with cracks in it - maybe thats just round the edges, but I'm not sure I want to take the risk - I suspect that removing all the wallpaper could potentially leave me with no choice but to rip it down.

Artexing it sounds like an option, I know its not to everyones cup of tea but I have humble targets!
Can artexing be done over wallpaper - and can it be done be a novicey DIYer such as myself?

Can artexing be done over wallpaper - and can it be done be a novicey DIYer such as myself?

No and No..

And no self respecting Artexer will put it over paper either.

And bear in mind stripping the ceiling may actually bring the lot down....its happened to me.

Ceiling tiles....the polysterene one may be an option....but again..over paper?...dodgy.

Have you thought about coving around the edges?.....will it be wide enough to cover most of the ripped paper?

Can you get away with filling the edges of the paper?..then painting over the whole lot?

If your lucky (and i hope you are) and you can strip the ceiling without bringing it down...try papering it...

Dont paint the bare ceiling though, you may have problems.

Failing these possiblities.....id save up and get it boarded over...do a bit at a time to suit your budget....maybe a frame work first.....then the boarding...then the redecoration.

Everyone has a budget of some sorts...take you time and get it done slowly......

Sponsored Links
The paper is pretty much welded to the ceiling, ceiling tiles is an option, but not polystyrene - are they not a fire risk?

Coving won't cover it, the paper has an embossed pattern to it so filling is not an option, neither is patching and papering it... unless I go with a heavy textured emulsion....

Maybe this should be moved to the diy disaster section - or I could look for a disrespecting artexer....

I think, as you allude to, tha patience is the key and I may well have to very slowly and delicately remove the paper and start from there - perhaps a re-skim and lick of paint...

The heavy textured emulsion could be dodgy....it could, as it dries strart lifting the paper below it...then you have real problems.

Polysterene tiles these days have a fire resistant additive.....stick em up with ready mixed wallpaper paste....but, again...risky as it could start bringing the paper off.

I would olnly use them if you can strip the ceiling......same goes for papering it.

Dont use a steamer on the ceiling....it could bring the plaster down.

Geting it spread by a plasterer will probably cost you best part of a ton..paper will be your cheapest option....liing paper cheaper still....if the plaster is in good nick below.

Well I bought 15 litres of matt finish ripple effect textured emulsion.
But I haven't used it yet (and the receipt is in a safe place)

My indecision is frustrating.

The ceiling is now holding up the rest of the decoration - including the laying of carpets in other rooms too.

If I start stripping the wallpaper, I can't stop until its done, very risky outcome although not using a steamer would lessen the risk I guess.

As for ceiling tiles - these would be an ideal solution except that a recent survey by Nationwide said that 11% of purchasers would be put off buying a house with polystyrene ceiling tiles!!

I wonder if there's any funky designs for ceiling tiles out there?

If not there's definitely a gap in the market for it!

The designs are a lot more modern these days....but ceiling tiles seem to have missed the 'trend roundabout'

Must admit they do look a bit dated...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back