Deleted Thread

Sponsored Links
It's a flat conversion, I'd be even more concerned. :eek:

Further to what I said about stringing out the process as long as you can:
One house I bought I asked for a reduction on the asking price due to some vandal damage. By the time the reduction was agreed there was more damage so I requested a further reduction. This went on for about four or five reductions.
Perhaps the vendor realised eventually that the longer they take thinking about reductions the less they'll get for the property.

If someone else comes in and buys it, you might have saved yourself buying a turkey.

Don't forget to watch the market, you might be requesting a reduction 'cos of the market movements.
I have several friends at the moment selling their house, about three in all, and there's no interest on one, the other two have fallen through.
By all acounts most purchases these days are cash buyers.

Just to add more woe :cry: - where do those downpipes go under the decking ? I`ve just found another one on my house that went into a concrete path and straight down by the footings :rolleyes: . Not surprised as I found 2 the same the other side last year when I dug up + relaid the drain run - not a problem to me personally ( there are no signs of cracking in the structure ) But I know tradespeople personally and have budgeted for repairs - and I`m getting into gardening so have water collecting butts everywhere ;) The time, and indeed the worry if you don`t know about buildings is a big factor to consider :idea: Good Luck with it all. PS - it`s a Flat ? then who`s going to maintain the fabric and @ what yearly cost to each leaseholder etc. etc ad nauseam . Caveat flippin Emptor

Sponsored Links
if only :( what with legal fees so far and some of the searches, full survey, mortgage survey, electrical, D+T survey and mortgage application.. I will be looking at closer to £2k :eek:
not being funny but why would you invest £2000 into something that even to the untrained eye is full of bodges. Can you breakdown the £2k as it seems you've really paid a lot for something you don't even own. I think your mortgage application should be transferable to another property.

The bit of roof above the door is covered in moss too- think he'd have spent 10 mins brushing that off seeing as it's visible from the garden.
As a stonemason I'm curious about the fecking abomination brickwork, especially under the window sill above the flat roof, was the house hit in the Blitz? the brickwork looks concave....
That new felt is probably just covering up weathered and cracked leaky felt below.
Bodge city.... :eek:

Can't help you with the quote but be very wary of flat roofs! One of the buildings we maintain at work is a toilet block and on prior visual inspections the felt looked fine until one rainy day there was water running down the inside walls. We got the ladders up for a look and discovered that kids must have been up on it and there was a hole through not just the felt but the OSB underneath. Turns out the whole roof seemed to have turned porous and the entire roof was now rotten, a total replacement at several £k- it does however look to be bigger than your roof but it's also a freestanding building so easy enough to make watertight at the edges- yours would involve raggling/lead flashing if done properly which would add costs.
They hide a multitude of sins- climb on it and jump around isn't exactly good advice but you'd know if it was solid!!! ;)
Good luck- a tough one when partly committed.

I'd be tempted to bargain hard and long. As you say, (or was that your Dad) at the right price, it's all fixable.

along with the mortgage application (£300), legal fees (£400) and the start of some of the searches (£200), the mortgage survey was £270, building survey was £350, D+T survey was £200, Electrics £100.
Soon adds up, but if you've got your dad along do you really need to fork out £350 for a building survey which just tells you things you can see with your own eyes. They are full of so many caveats and get outs that Id say you'd be better to blow £350 on lottery tickets next time and hope for a big win.
I don't know what the D+T survey is but it must be good for 200 nicker. As for the electrics survey, just take off a few sockets, unscrew a couple of ceiling roses, look at the fuseboard. Again, I'd sooner spend that £100 on fast women, but each to their own.

One thing to be aware is that if there is a leasehold agreement you will have to get permission to do any building works. Also if the other leaseholder refuses, then you won't be able to do anything. Consensus here seems to be to walk away and cut your losses. Its not very nice to lose a grand, but you could be in it for much more.

If you have to buy a flat/ conversion - do some research on Commonhold ( as opposed to leasehold) and also buying out the freeholder :idea: This may be the best advice you are ever given ;) The ball is in your court and Good Luck.

Sound advice Nige - freehold every time.

For the record: never let the vendor/seller carry out repars prior to sale. Instead, go for the repair cost as a price reduction, then do the repairs to your standard not his desperate mickey mouse repairs to get out at the cheapest cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back