Demolition - what does it cost to remove a house from a plot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a potential longer term idea to buy land and build my own property, I wonder just how much it could cost to demolish and remove a current building, say an old house or bungalow ?

To the uninitiated it seems terribly easy. Secure services away from the works and knock the damn thing down with some piece of large machinery. Cart away all rubble and dig out all foundations.

Not quite a 20 minute job but certainly not weeks or months.

Obviously far more to it than this but any idea of a reasonable time schedule and likely cost, my not being physically involved.

Sponsored Links
haven't go a clue :eek:

demolition costs or you demolish ??

asbestos brick wood plastic :?:
3000 tonnes off waste 1000 tonnes ??
high local costs??

really easy site really bad site ??

easy to get planning no building allowed ??

who knows really 50p or several hundreds off thousands :rolleyes:
far to many variables :cry:

I was thinking about an existing property, perhaps a small house or bungalow on a plot of land where I purchase the property with the intention to demolish and rebuild on the land.

My involvement would be to plan it and pay for it ! It is the costs to get someone to do it all I am trying to ascertain.

Sponsored Links
Not possible to give the actual answer with information given but it's not as much as most people think. Building a new house also doesn't cost as much as most people think. You need to research into 'self build', loads of info out there, conferences and meetings, there is a proper little industry. Look into timber framed 'kit' houses like you get from places like Potton.

Knocking down and starting afresh is often a far more sensible and cost effective idea than trying to put an extension on. Make sure you can get planning for what you want to do before you buy it. In this market you should have plenty of time to get that sorted before you commit to buy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back