DG UPVC windows and doors - self fit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a window and back door fitted by a local double glazing company and I must say it's been a frustrating experience. The job done is awful and therefore at the moment I'm withholding payment until things are put right.

I'm sure that if I had undertaken the job myself I would have done a better job than these guys, but I could do with some information on how to go about it. None of the DIY manuals I have seem to cover this area in any great depth, so does anyone know of a source of information on this?

Cheers

JD

Sponsored Links
Whats wrong with the job? Is the company a member of FENSA? If not, and they haven't involved building control then they're breaching regs. If so, contact FENSA and complain - they may even inspect the work at co's expense. Your council B.C. dept will provide you with info regarding reg. requirements, and you should also search this forum for more info. hope that helps.

Yep, rest assured I will be going through all of those procedures if necessary. I'm aware about the FENSA/BuildCtrl issues also. I just fancy having a go myself but want more info before I give it a try (initially on a very small window).
JD

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that the council will charge per application so it is uneconomical to do one at a time, and you must inform them before starting work. It isn't that difficult a job though, and depends what sort of window openings you have. In older victorian style houses the units are fitted from inside and the width of the window should be the narrowest measurement of the opening plus 20mm. The frame is then fixed to timber either side, and the timber is fixed to the wall with hammer fixings. More modern windows are fitted directly to the wall, so you should measure the opening, and leave a 10mm gap all around which after fixing can be foam filled. Hope all that makes sense...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back