Diagonal crack under bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are first time buyers and have just had an offer accepted on a 1930s terraced house. When we went back for a second viewing, we noticed a couple of cracks. See the photos below.

The diagonal crack is below the bay window in the small front bedroom.

The second crack is from the ceiling downwards in the main rear bedroom. As you can see, it goes down towards the fitted wardrobe. This is positioned just immediately to the left of the bay window.

Are either of these anything to be particularly concerned about? Are these likely to be plastering cracks? The diagonal shape of the one under the window is a bit worrying. What sort of outlay should we factor in to take care of these?

Thanks- any advice would be appreciated.
IMG_20200729_101723.jpg
IMG_20200729_101940.jpg
IMG_20200729_101723.jpg

Sponsored Links
those cracks are pretty tiny, probably plaster only from shrinkage

I dont suppose you got any external pics? -diagonal cracks in the brickwork in the correspond position are more concerning

those cracks are pretty tiny, probably plaster only from shrinkage

I dont suppose you got any external pics? -diagonal cracks in the brickwork in the correspond position are more concerning

Thanks- going to check out the external brickwork. If nothing there, likely to be a simple plastering job then?

Sponsored Links
Thanks- going to check out the external brickwork. If nothing there, likely to be a simple plastering job then?
Yes, just decorating issue I reckon, the cracks are only a couple of mms

plaster is brittle and cracks easily -even new extensions often crack, mostly due to the weak thermalite blocks used

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back