Difference between Dulux matt & vinyl matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the difference between these 2 paints:

I called Dulux customer service, a lady said one is DIY and other is for tradesmen, don't know more than that, basically she doesn't know.

Vinyl matt is twice the price.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They are both vinyl matt.

The former is better quality, by that I mean that on new plaster, I expect 2.5 coats to suffice- I do a 10% dilute coat, followed by a wet on wet coat minutes later. The next day, I apply a full fat coat. Job done.

Your second link is the Dulux retail paint. It is much thinner (and you will get much more paint splatter when applying it).

If your labour time is not a factor, applying more coats of the retail paint might make sense. If not pay extra for the paint that requires fewer coats.

They are both vinyl matt.

The former is better quality, by that I mean that on new plaster, I expect 2.5 coats to suffice- I do a 10% dilute coat, followed by a wet on wet coat minutes later. The next day, I apply a full fat coat. Job done.

Your second link is the Dulux retail paint. It is much thinner (and you will get much more paint splatter when applying it).

If your labour time is not a factor, applying more coats of the retail paint might make sense. If not pay extra for the paint that requires fewer coats.
It makes sense, thicker less coats required labour saving more expensive paint.

I am painting over Dulux ceiling white same colour, I am a DIYer, will be using matt cheaper version, do I need to apply a mist coat 10% water? The customer service suggested to do so?

It makes sense, thicker less coats required labour saving more expensive paint.

I am painting over Dulux ceiling white same colour, I am a DIYer, will be using matt cheaper version, do I need to apply a mist coat 10% water? The customer service suggested to do so?

No need to mist, assuming that the very first coat was misted. I do not understand why they recommended that though. Applying a mist coat over paint that isn't sufficiently bonded to the plaster will not magically bond it.

Emulsion needs to be thinned on new plaster- the extra liquid gets sucked in to the plaster, allowing the paint to cure through a process whereby the rest of the water evaporates off and the surface layer bonds/shrinks down. The process is known as coalescence.

If the ceiling is pretty clean, use the cheaper version for the first coat. Any marks, spot brush a coat on, repeat and rinse as required.

Sponsored Links
Customer service at Dulux and Leyland are poor and waste of time. The latter is worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back