Difference between Merlin Gerin MCB “C60HB” and “C60H” and should they all be the same.

3) Should I get the MCBs that say “C60H” changed to be type B (C60HB) so they are all the same, or the reverse, or simply ignore as all is working?

unless you wanted second hand, not advisable, you couldnt get them to be the same if you did want to, them HB aint been made for years and the H even longer, theres new rcbos and mcbs that replaced them , if you ever need any more, but they look totally different.
There are new H ones on ebay, but seem dubious to me considering they aint been made by merlin gerin for ages

Sponsored Links
Dear Rocky,
With thanks for that. My concern was if it was correct to have two types of MCB in my board, and as it seems that "C60H” type 2 and "C60HB" type B are basically the same I am not going to get electrician to change it (although at some point I will get someone to test the issues raised by everyone else).

I would not touch the Distribution Board myself, and I am never happy with ebay for things like MCBs (eg are they tested or were they removed because they were fried??) and if requested I would expect electrician to fit new MCBs. So if I was going to get electrician in to replace or install new MCBs I understood (from another DIYNOT forum) that the electrician could use in my Merlin Gerin distribution board a "Schneider MCB Multi9" such as from here:
https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/categories/type-b-1-pole-mcb-s
Or would these not fit and electrician would want to fit a new distribution board?

(NOTE that I am happy with what I have and it works ok for my garage and not planing to get anyone to change it, so this question is simply for my interest).
SFK

Last edited:
With that loading, you can probably run it from your house, and cancel the dedicated Garage supply, and save one set of standing charges in the process - the charge for a 3 phase supply may be higher than normal single phase feeds.

Is the system earthed? - Notice the lack of earthing cables?
It has been converted to single phase

Sponsored Links
(NOTE that I am happy with what I have and it works ok for my garage and not planing to get anyone to change it, so this question is simply for my interest).
SFK

Yes, leave them be if your happy.but as you say for future referance

Yes the ones in your link are the only ones made now that fit your board, the mcbs and rcbos are the same profile, but as you can see the fronts look different, they are now refered to as ACTI 9 range.
Although they are the exact same profile, i do find the Rcbos dont always fit easily in that board you have, but looking at them I can not fathom out why as they look identical apart from the front facing

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
Rocky, thank you. I will keep the possibility of them not fitting in mind. Thank you to everyone again for their advice, sfk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back