different tile size on wall and floor - opinions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we had our bathroom done a few years ago with 40cmx40cm tiles on both walls and floor (different colour but same make and format of tiles). It was a decent job and the grout lines/tiles lined up everywhere from floor to wall in every direction (if you know what I mean).

We've had to have the floor broken up and will be re-tiling it. The tiles we had down are no longer available and we can't find any 40cmx40cm tiles we like.

So... we've now found some tiles we like that are 25cmx25cm. Obviously, we can't line these up with the wall tiles any more, will that look really odd to have different size tiles on the floor and not have them aligned with the wall tiles?? Would laying the floor tiles on the diagonal look better in that respect?? or run a border tile of some kind round the edges?? or just pick a much smaller tile?? Not sure of the best answer, opinions welcome!

Sponsored Links
I’m going to go ahead with the smaller tiles, and I think you’re right it’ll look OK. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back