Digging holes for posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to put a small 6ft fence at the bottem of our Garden. It will only be about 2 panels in width. My question is do i just dig holes for the posts and fill them back in with the same soil i dug out ? (making sure the posts are treated of course)

Also how deep do i have to dig ???
Any info would be great ive never done a fence.

Thanks
Coggy

Sponsored Links
For a 6' panel you will need a minimum 8' post approx 2' in the ground,then use post mix,very easy to use,see this for one of many brand.

as you mention panels, why not use met posts? there is one with a 2 1/2 foot spike you hit into the ground,post fits into this, available from where you got fence

Sponsored Links
met posts are fine until you hit a stone half way down. Personally I would stick with post-crete (wickes) or similar as mentioned by masona above. :)

But having now checked the date of the original post (pun definately intended) you have probably done the job by now. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back