Dimmer confusion :s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey forum!

So I thought a nice simple double switch to double dimmer upgrade would take me 15 minutes. Wrong!
I'm confused between the old and new terminal labels and how my old switch was wired. Any guidance greatly appreciated!
Existing double switch = one switch controlled a light on its own, the other worked in conjunction with a single switch on the other side of the room. Unhelpfully most of the wiring colours are brown, so I have labelled them with a black marker with marks I, II, III, IIII etc.
All Blue neutrals are connected together.
Diagram of existing wiring and old and new switch pics are attached

Thx
Matt

Attachments

• 20231223_135211.jpg
    20231223_135211.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231223_130247.jpg
    20231223_130247.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Hi. They are next to useless. Don't even have the connections labelled the same as the back of the dimmer!

Attachments

• 20231223_104241.jpg
    20231223_104241.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
Many thanks, that looks like the same dimmer and I did think the new symbol would be common.
So I assume L1 is 1 way and L2 is 2 way?
What also got me a bit confused is that when testing with a meter only the brown wire with one mark (* on diagram) is live. Does that sound correct?

Any chance you could show me how to transpose existing wires into new dimmer via diagram? Sorry know that's a big ask, but going to loose daylight soon and being doing this with a torch.. :(

Sorry, I had to go out.

Yes, but i think the link wire to the left switch should be in L1 - but it might not matter.

It's just the line(live) supply wire to the left switch - nothing to do with the other switch as such.

Thanks for all your help.. the diagram I drew above worked!
Hope this helps anyone else. Instructions with the Knightsbridge dimmer were poor, but I guess they assume anything remotely complicated won't be done by anyone other than an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back