Dimmer Switch 2 Gang Problem and Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply, but there are only 6 conductors i am afraid, 2 seperate cables, one coming from up inside teh backbox, one other cable coming from down inside the back box.
In the back plate of the lights socket, there are 2 cables coming from beneath of the back box, 2 cables coming from the top of the back box.

Each of the 2 cables has a red,black, green.

Each of these 2 cables has 2 mini cables inside them, they are coloured as
follows:

Cable coming from beneath the backbox

1 red
1 black with red sleeve
1 green/yellow

Cable coming from the top of the backbox

1 red
1 black with red sleeve
1 green/yellow

Thanks
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35550#35550

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the previous post.

Just to give you guys some sort of update, the switches now work and control the 2 lights, but for some reason the problem has shifted to the kitchen now, if the 2 lights are on, then the kitchen light will come on and go off again, it also switches on, one of the lights in the lounge.

So for some reason, the kitchen switch is now having control of one of the lights in the lounge, its like some sort of interference. The other i noticed is that when i used a tester to test the - and + on the kitchen light bulb holder, the both seem to light up, from my understanding, only one is meant to light up.

The kitchen light bulb holder/ceiling rose has 2 red cables connected in a loop, 2 black cables, one with a red sleeve, these 2 black cables are for some reason lighting up when the tester is used.

Any ideas here ?

Thanks in advance

Ok Guys

The problem has now been sorted, it was caused becaused the neutral loop was wired onto the live loop in the ceiling rose.

This was the reason for the interferance.

Thanks to everyone

I was about to surmise that you have not only changed switches, but fittings too.... ;)

Sponsored Links
I was about to surmise that you have not only changed switches, but fittings too.... ;)

Hi guys,

I am back again, this time it seems to be a different kind of problem which I dont have an explanation to. Here is how it started, some months ago, I turned the dimmer switch and heard a tiny spark and one of the dimmer lights stopped working, just to remind you all, I have a pair of dimmer lights, one has 4 bulbs and the other has 3 bulbs, since the incident the switch works well on the four lighter and the switch would not turn on the 3 lighter, I thought it was a bulb problem and put one of the bulbs on the 4 lighter to the 3 lighter and it still didnt work, so at this point, I thought it was a switch problem.

I bought a new switch yesterday as one of the dimmers control the 4 lighter and the other would not even turn on the 3 lighter, on changing the switch, followed exact same wiring as as working previously and it was still the 4 lighter only which was working.

I switched the bulbs around on the 4 lighter and the more I switch the bulbs around, one of the lights just stops working, so now out of 4 bulbs, only one works as I have switched the bulbs around, and I am just confused now as I dont know what the problem is.

so out of 7 lights, 3 lighter and 4 lighter, only 1 bulb works now on the 4 lighter, and for such a big lounge, I cant read nor look forward to tonight as it will be a dark night, any help will be appreciated, I am thinking now though that the GU10 bulbs might not be thesame, and as I have swapped them around for testing, maybe its blowing the bulbs out, best way to test is to take it to somewhere else and test from there I guess...

Any help would be appreciated.

For once, speechless........

take pistol, load round, place to head, pull trigger!

or go get a beer!!!!!!!!!!!

why will some people not know when they are out of their depth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back