dimmer switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am replacing an old dimmer switch, the cables inside the box on the wall are two 3 cor cables coming in, one to the wall lights and one from the mains both consisting of Red Blue And Green.

The Blue cables were twisted together and the red cables went into the only connections available on the old dimmer switch.

The new dimmer switch connections has L SW and an arrow with a line through.

It also has an led on the on and off button its one of those kinda touch dimmer switches, I have tried the Live wire from the mains into L and the other Red wire into the arrow with a line through. but it seem as dead as a door nail.

Thanks for any help with this.

Sponsored Links
Blue and red is an odd combination of colours - usually black and red, or blue and brown. However with only 2 live wires, the connections to the dimmer should be correct.

Are these blue wires connected together in a terminal block- they shouldn't just be twisted together.

Is this dimmer a master unit, or a slave?

Hi

Not sure what you mean by master or slave, I suppose the simplest way of explaining the wireing would be three cor cable live to the wall lights and a dimmer switch in the middle. These lights have been put up
with a live from a plug socket and fused in between.

Sponsored Links
the 'LED' is in fact an IR sensor and that will denote a master unit flameport...

Hi

It would seem that what ever way around I put the live wires in, the wall lights are perminatly on and the on off button on the dimmer switch does nothing.

The wireing diagram that came with it shows blue in the arrow line connection and red in the L connection not sure I should try this.

No, that will damage the dimmer switch, and most likely render it useless.

You haven't already tried that have you?

No only swapping the red wires around. The leds apparently should light up red when off and green when on nothing on this one.

Hi

It would seem that what ever way around I put the live wires in, the wall lights are perminatly on and the on off button on the dimmer switch does nothing.

The wiring diagram that came with it shows blue in the arrow line connection and red in the L connection not sure I should try this.

i would imagine the diagram you are referring to showed a single switch cable in red/black or brown/blue and you have told us red and blue because these are the colours you have.
if so i would say that the supply red goes to L and the red to the light goes to the arrow.

it sounds like you may have a faulty/damaged dimmer switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back