dimmer switch

Mo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dimmer switch connected to 6 halogen lamps, each with its own transformer. The switch will no longer switch off but still dims. This is the second time this has happened.

Have decided to use an ordinary off/on switch but when I took the cover off the dimmer there are three wires, all red. Two of the wires go into one hole and the other into another hole - all at the top.

The new switch only has two holes, one at the top and one at the bottom.
How do I wire it.

Prompt reply would be appreciated as my 13 year old won't sleep in there until this switch is replaced, she is convinced it will go on fire as it can't be switched off.

Sponsored Links
Put the two wires which are together into one hole, and the single wire into the other hole.

Don't forget to turn off the power first etc. etc.

amtodd,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Did it and it works. Had put the cover plate on a bit squint so loosened it a bit and adjusted but as I was tightening it the fuse in the box downstairs blew. I switched everything off, took it apart and did it again. Seems ok now but any idea why it would have blown?

One happy thirteen year old, happy to sleep in her own room tonight. She sends her thanks and so do I.

Sponsored Links
Possibly had a loose cable or you nipped one of the cables with the machine screws holding the front plate on.

Either way, if you took it apart and did it all again, chances are you've solved it, although you could look for damaged insulation.

Glad to be of assistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back