DIMMER SWITCH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have tried to install a dimmer switch when i have removed the socket i havent noted to exact wiring my fault!!! in the wall i have 3 red wires 1 blue and 1 yellow on the switch there is 3 holes one of them has a wavey line on it i think this stands for common.

can anyone please advise me how to install this???

your post has been edited, please note forum rule 6a

Sponsored Links
Is your dimmer part of a 2-way switch arrangement or does it have a timer fan connected to it?

it doesnt have a timer attatched and it only has 1 knob on it the cryptic instructions seem to make out that it can be used for either 1 way or 2 way

can you remember if ALL the cables were connected to the switch you removed? Is it just one switch controlling 1 light? Do you have a multi-meter?

Sponsored Links
as far as i can remember they were all connceted but it was a standerd switch and on the back of the old switch there is no marks to indicate were things went. i have changed some of the others in the house with no probs but they werent dimmers. sorry whats a multi meter (you will have to forgive my lack of knowledge)

Is it single core cables or twin & earth ( 2 cables with a bare copper earth)?. Are there no blacks and can you remember if all the cables were connected to the light switch - Not any in a seperate connector block?
A multi meter is a device which measures voltage, continuity, resistance etc. How many connections were on your old swith 2 or 3?

hi i dont have a meter there were no black wires at all, there isnt any bare wires either and i cant fine an earth (which i take it is green and yellow in most cases) and all the cables were connected there is none choc blocked or anything

ok, If you've got your old switch at hand i would put all the reds in to com(or the top connectionif it isnt marked) then put the yellow and blue in the bottom L1 + L2 and see if you get any joy.
remember to turn power off 1st at your consumer unit.
Im only asking you to use your old switch so your new dimmer doesn't get damaged if theres a short sircuit when trying to identify what cable is what. Hopefully your dimmer isnt chrome or metal as this really should have an earth :rolleyes:

hi thanks im in work at the moment so i will give it a try when i get home!!!

it is chrome can i install an earth?

probably not easily :( the reason for the earth is that if the switch was to have fault or 1 of the cables were to touch the metal plate the earth cable would create a short and your fuse/mcb would trip, Without the earth there is a possibility, all be it small of the plate becoming live and zapping the person who turns the switch on :eek:. Is your wiring system old, is it the old pull out fuses you have? once you get home you can come back on here and try and sort out getting the cables identified, its really trial and error,;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back