Dimmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried this question before but no one who responded seemed to be able to help so perhaps someone else might know?

Basically I have a new dimmer switch that I need to know how to wire, pictures are below. I have currently 2 switches side by side, one I wish to replace with this dimmer. And currently both switches are wired with all neutral wires together (for the live feed cable/switch 1 and switch 2) and all earths together with only the live cable and switched live wired to the switches, and all works fine.

But when I wire the dimmer with only live and switched live (as per the picture instructions) it doesn't work. On the drawing/schematic it shows N connection with what to me seems a lamp symbol neutral.

Does this mean that the neutral cable from the lamp should also be wired here?

(there is no fault with the dimmer since this is the 2nd one I have already replaced it from the shop just in case).

Hope some one out there has some ideas, cos it's really annoying when it should be simple.

View media item 3796 View media item 3947 View media item 3772

Sponsored Links
The drawing shows it connected to a 2-way switch, for 1-way operation you should connect the live to either of the input terminals & the switch wire to the terminal marked N

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back