Dimpull

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I bought a Dimpull (tm) switch for my bathroom and wired it up according to the instructions.

I have 6 35w spotlights and an extractor fan.

The spotlights are working fine, switching on, dimming, switching off ok.

The problem is that the extractor fan switches on, but will not switch off.

I have tested the switched live output of the Dimpull and it seems to be giving out a current even when its in the off position and the lights are off.

The current it gives out when its supposed to be off isnt enough to trigger the fan to switch on, but seems to be enough to keep it running if it has been turned on previously.

I wonder if anyone has had experience with this that they could share.

Many Thanks

Panny

Sponsored Links
Has the fan got any sort of time delay on it or did it before you changed the switch?

And what voltage are you getting at the switch when it's off?

Yes, the fan has a timer.

Its connected permanently to live and neutral, and the switched live is what triggers it to turn on.

I dont have a multimeter, so i cant test the current, but its enough to light a tester screwdriver.

AAArgh! Neon screwdriver!

Chuck it in the bin, and buy yourself a multimeter. It will cost about £8 to £10 in your high street hardware shop or local DIY shed.

While you wait for the shops to open, check the fan instructions to see how to adjust the timer.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
AAArgh! Neon screwdriver!

Chuck it in the bin,and buy yourself a multimeter. It will cost about £8 to £10 in your high street hardware shop or local DIY shed.

:D Will do at some point.

But what difference does it make ?, off means off doesnt it ?, i shouldnt be seeing anything, right ??

I personally think I have bought a faulty one.

Neon screwdrivers are notorious for giving misleading indications. Buy the meter first and see what is really happening.

Have you looked up the fan timer adjustment yet?

JohnD said:
Neon screwdrivers are notorious for giving misleading indications. Buy the meter first and see what is really happening.

Have you looked up the fan timer adjustment yet?

I'll get one.

Fan timer switches off ok after timeout, but only if i disconnect the switched live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back