Disconnecting Garage electrics..quicky!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a quick sanity check question!

My garage has power going to it from main fuse box in the house (an overhead cable going to a mini fuse box in the garage).

The garage is on it's own RCD switch on the main house fuse box but also has a fused switch next to the fuse box which the electrician has labelled 'Garage Isolator'.

The garage is being demolished and I want to remove all cabling and fittings from the garage safely.

Presumably if I switch both of these switches 'off' there is no power to any of the installation in the garage?

Sponsored Links
I would isolate the 'Garage Isolator' in the house by your consumer unit and check for dead in the garage.

It would also be a good idea to remove the outgoing cable (whilst isolated).

It would also be a good idea to remove the outgoing cable (whilst isolated).

Thanks, on that note the cable takes quite a convaluted route through the house from the consumer unit and out of the house on the first floor. If I disconnect that supply cable at the garage end and coil it up, bag it and leave it hanging where it exits the first floor of the house is there any danger in this (provided I ensure the garage isolator is always off - I can remove the fuse)?

If it is going to be bagged up for a while I would preffer to see the live and neutral at the garage isolator removed from their terminals. You can likely see which side of the isolator is the feed and which is going out to the garage.

Sponsored Links
If it is going to be bagged up for a while I would preffer to see the live and neutral at the garage isolator removed from their terminals. You can likely see which side of the isolator is the feed and which is going out to the garage.

Thanks. Sensible and I think I can cope with that.

Just thought I'd update the post, thanks for the advice. Successfully disconnected the supply and stripped the garage out of all cable/fittings on Saturday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back