Dishwasher stops mid-cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Bosch dishwasher (model SMS 6012) keeps stopping mid cycle. If you advance the dial very slightly it restarts where it left off and continues for a while but then stops again. Sometimes when it stops there's a pretty loud buzzing sound, at other times just a quiet hum. I usually have to advance the dial 3 or 4 times for the whole cycle to complete. When it does complete everything is washed fine.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, is there any water in the base tray triggering the safety?

Thanks for help. No water in base tray.

I should have added that it stops during both the wash and rinse cycles, typically a couple of times during each.

Sponsored Links
There seems to be a pattern here.

Stopped at end of pre-wash - half inch pool of water in machine

Stopped at end of main wash - pool as above

Stopped at end of first rinse cycle - pool as above

Stopped at end of second rinse - pool as above

Completed last rinse and went into dry cycle without stopping. No water left in machine. Everything washed OK.

Hope this tells a story!

assuming there is no blockage in the outlet,listen to it filling,it should fill the tank on the left hand side three times.What usually happens is the third tank full of water cant get into the machine fast enough due to a blocked metering hose which temporarily shuts the inlet valve giving you the humming noise.

Thanks, there was a kink in the outlet hose when I first investigated the fault but it made no difference when I straigtened the hose.

How do I locate the metering hose? Presumably I'll need to disconnect it to check for a blockage.

If the machine is doing what i previously posted ie shutting down on third fill you will need to remove and clean metering hose.This is not that straightforward,and you might be better off getting someone in, however i will give you advice on how to remove it.UNPLUG the machine, remove left hand side panel.The hose you are looking for is fitted to the bottom left of the plastic tank black in colour and about one inch diameter.Take off the hose clip.The other end of the hose is fitted to the sump.To gain access to that is not easy.Tip the machine back and remove lower front panel and you will see it.Various things are in the way inlet valve flood switch etc.Releasing some of these componenets will give enough access to remove the hose and clean it hot soapy water,bottle brush anything you can to clear gunge.

Machine now completes full cycle without stopping.

Thanks to excellent diagnosis and advice from assuhors I cleaned out the gunge from the metering hose and all now works. Just cleaned it with a long (40cm) bottle brush from one end as removing hose entirely is difficult.

Excellent result!

My dishwasher keeps stopping , usually soon after it starts. there is usually some water inside. I empty this , clean the filter and restart. has previously helped but now doesn't seam to. last night i opened the side and fiddled with the plastic drain parts and shut offs - this got it going again- but not sure exactly what i did and how to permanently cure it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back