Dishwasher traps...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks,
Need to assemble a u-bend trap for a slimline dishwasher in 32mm pipe. Trouble is I can't find anywhere local that does traps in 32mm - only 40mm (the hole to the outside and the drain is only big enough to fit a 32 :( ) Can I get away with using right angle compression fittings (or push-fits - although I'd prefer compressions for peace of mind) - or is it not advisable to have water sitting in a u bend that isn't a one-piece fitting?

Ta muchly

Sponsored Links
All modern basins are 32mm, every DIY shed in the country (that I know of and assuming your in the UK) sells them. No problem in making your own, but why bother. Where have you looked ?

you could use an hepV0 trap with an adaptor

F03695.jpg

bathjobby said:
All modern basins are 32mm, every DIY shed in the country (that I know of and assuming your in the UK) sells them. No problem in making your own, but why bother. Where have you looked ?

B&Q-shed, wicks-shed and even *shudder* homebase-shed - nowt in terms of washing machine / dishwasher specific traps in 32mm (all 40mm) - guess I can adapt a normal sink trap or something. Just I had some spare right angle compression joints easily available and couldn't be bothered trawling round the local places when I could knock something up which wouldn't come back and cause problems later - I'll doa double check tonight and if nowts about I'll go with a home made job ;)

Sponsored Links
No prob making your own trap from 90 degree bends, providing it can be dismantled for cleaning (well probably unnecessary for dishwasher!) and is well supported. But do you realise you can also connect dishwasher waste into existing sink trap, etc?

you can use any old 32mm trap with a 32mm to male Iron coupler, from any GOOD plumbers. It'll be made of plastic. Trap one side and pipe the other.

chrishutt said:
. But do you realise you can also connect dishwasher waste into existing sink trap, etc?

I did, But sadly the dishwasher was / is on the far side of a support column to the sink (due to the wacky but functional layout / shape of the room we've got), and while I've boshed the water pipes through the column I was more reluctant to put a hole through the column the other way for waste. In the end I used a 40mm washing machine trap from wicks, managed to "persuade" a 40mm pipe through the outside wall and ran it to the drain - bit of a tight fit but got there in the end.... And the beauty of it all is the pipe didn't crack while I was persuading it through :D

*Happy days*

the pipe didn't crack while I was persuading it through
But it might crack later! The pipe will expand and contract with heat, resulting in small movements which will rub the pipe against masonry, eventually wearing a hole, perhaps. Just a comforting thought.:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back