Disk rack

I guess with PartionMagic or some such beast one could resize partitions on the fly, so a huge drive could have a couple of partitions set to suit the amount of data on board, thereby easing the defrag time somewhat.
BTW I have Ver 7.0 of PM and it has never let me down, surprisingly easy to use. ( I know have posted elsewhere concerning dual boot - Have 'BootMagic' with PMagic... exploring really !! )
P

Sponsored Links
I had a play with PM when I had a dual-booting Linux/Windows system back at uni. Did the job well, it was so easy I was sure I couldn't have done it right but sure enough, it worked. Just a shame I found Linux such an abomination ;)

Good idea about resizing partitions, but I'm not sure that would overcome the problem of fragmentation: files that are fragmented across the partition "divider" would have to be defragged to get them onto the same partition again.

My method for reducing fragmentation is to set the disk block size as large as possible on my scratch drive and storage drives (64kbytes, IIRC). As I am dealing with large DV files (of the order of gigabytes), you don't really waste any space. But, it means that the file is stored across less blocks, and thus suffers less fragmentation. Also I try to avoid letting the drive get too full, it is quicker to defrage a 50%-full drive than a 95%-full drive.

Sponsored Links
Back