DIY - Bathroom installation - General plumbing Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I started to clear out my bathroom this week and plan i DIY job for a full refit - bathroom suite, flooring, tiling - the works! - And im knackered already (its only Tuesday) :oops:

The room is now pretty much empty bar a few capped off pipes and i am now doing the pain staking work of preparing the walls for tiling and fitting a new window.

I am needing to decide where the sink, toilet and bath feeds will need to be located soon as i will be wanting to fit laminate flooring in next couple of days. I want to move the existing route of the pipes to reduce boxing in. The hot feed is 22mm to the bath, with a 15mm running from it to the sink. On further examination under the boards the hot seems to originate from a 15mm pipe increasing to 22mm - Is there a need to keep it this way? any benefits?

The reason i ask is that i need to take it back to the point where it is 15mm in order to re-route, so therefore if there is no reason to increase it to 22mm i wont. It seems that in the past, the length of 22mm pipe had something else running from it, but this is now capped off.

any advice much appreciated.

Ste

Sponsored Links
Where is your bath hot water supplied from?

Open vented cylinder?
Unvented cylinder?
Heat store with heat exchanger?
Combi boiler?

Regarding capped-off dead legs, I would remove them - they're not healthy, with a risk of Legionella in the worst cases.

Hi Softus

thanks very much for your reply. I have a combi boiler installed. When i looked under the boards there are alot of old pipes as the house recently had a Combi and Central Heating installed including all new pipes. I have got rid of loads of dead pipes over the last few days.

Like i said, i have traced back the Hot supply in the bathroom to find it originates from a 15mm pipe, incresing to a 22mm. It has (as you say) a dead leg of 22mm then leads to the bath. I need to cut the pipe at the point of it being a 15mm in order to re route to the sink and bath. I am not sure if there is a need to increase back to 22mm - would they be any benefit? any point?

In doing this i will also get rid of the dead leg, thatnks very much for the advice on them being a potential problem - i was not aware.

Many thanks

Ste

Sponsored Links
I have got rid of loads of dead pipes over the last few days.
Don't dump them - you'll get more money that you'd expect from a scrap metal dealer.

I am not sure if there is a need to increase back to 22mm - would they be any benefit? any point?
No - as Bahco has observed there is no benefit in inreasing to 22mm. In fact, there's a benefit in keeping it to 15mm, as long as its lagged, because there will be a shorter lag in delivering hot water to an outlet when the pipework is cold.

Thanks alot guys, it REALLY helps to have your input :D

as long as its lagged, because there will be a shorter lag in delivering hot water to an outlet when the pipework is cold.

It does surprise me just how littling lagging is used throughout the house, even with a new CH/Combi boiler installation. Do plumbers lag pipes as standard? (Just a general newbie question)

Thanks again, quite looking forward to taking these pipes tomorrow. Not looking forward to the tiling though :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back