DIY Connecting New Mains Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thames Water have quoted me £1500 to connect a new MDPE mains. This involves me digging the trench, me buying and laying the pipe, getting the trench inspected and then them coming along to connect it to the external stopcock.

The external stopcock is currently connected to a very short run of 25mm Blue MDPE when then connects to the lead or steel pipe in my boundary. This is because they recently fitted a water meter.

Why can't I just connect my new pipe to the small stretch of MDPE which is within my boundary and save 1500 quid?

I'm pretty sure I could pay an approved plumber to do this in 5 minutes.

Sponsored Links
I'm not planning to. I just think the price is crazy.

I'm almost certainly going to pay an approved plumber to certificate it.

Sorry, but that's a bit convulated. If you've got a water meter down by the pathway, why not connect to that. And why aren't you taking the MDPE pipe right into the house, as that'll increase the flow and the pressure for you. You don't want any connections in the pipe, as they could leak over time. To connect on to the water meter, you need a couple of shims that push the inner seals apart, and then slide the MDPE pipe in, and tighten it. I dug the trench, drilled a hole through the house and fitted a 40mm piece of waste pipe to take the water pipe, ran it all though and into the house, connected it to the water meter, insulated the pipe, and then filled it back in. Apparently others on here said I should have filled the bottom of the trench with shingle, but the waterboard inspector said they like the insulation to stop any rubbing as the pipe flexes.

You're right, that's a crazy price.

Sponsored Links
Doggit the intention is to connect directly to the external stopcock and take the new MDPE all the way into my property.

Currently, there appears to be a very small stretch of MDPE from the external stopcock which then couples to the lead pipe within my boundary. This is what they did when they installed the water meter.

Im pretty sure they've misquoted me as this does not appear to be a complicated connection.

Give them a ring and challenge the quote. I wonder if they're quoting for the whole job by mistake. Naw, that's be too cheap then.

Is that blue MDPE outwith your boundary, i.e. beyond the wall into the street? If so it's their pipe, not yours. Be careful if considering D.I.Y. hooking into it. You could get an approved, accredited installer who could self cert the connection at a cheaper price than that though, I'm sure.

Fortunately, when I did it, I dug to the edge of the boundary, and then cut under the pathway for about 6" to get at the meter. Didn't need to disturd the pathway itself, but if I had, I'd just have patched it a small bag of macadam.

Fortunately, when I did it, I dug to the edge of the boundary, and then cut under the pathway for about 6" to get at the meter. Didn't need to disturd the pathway itself, but if I had, I'd just have patched it a small bag of macadam.

Done it dozens of times. Sunday mornings are best ;)

Do you need an approved installer?

I do water repairs and relays, I did a 1 day course to get a National Water Hygene card. The only thing I learnt was to spray chlorine solution on the connection before they fit them and that cows aren't allowed to graze in top of buried reservoirs.

The actual work is simple, you could do a relay yourself easy.

Today's masterpiece:

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back