DIY window fit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i'm new to the bored & am looking for advice.

Two years back i fitted some new sash widows in my flat..
I had a friend in a joinery make me up the frames & sashes & I seperatly bought the glass myself... I sourced the weights & done a very tidy job fitting the whole kaboddle.
The sashes were made so i could fit double glazed units.
I went for toughend 14mm (4-6-4) units that are argon filled..
i followed all the advice i could at the time.
I have now been told that i should have got the windows checked by a building regulations approval surveyor & that the windows must meet specific standards in order to meet the building regulations...

My question is.. where can i find out what the regulations are that i need to meet, in order that my windows comply with the building regulations & if they do not. What should i do in order to bring them to the standard required.?

I hope that makes sense..

Cheers Joe.nacho

Sponsored Links
Joe
All windows installed must be done by certified fitters Fensa registered.
Check their website for all the info.
I once had an friendly debate with my local bc when I installed one window in my extension and he asked to see the Fensa certtificate, I enquired if a fensa operative could hammer in frame fixers in a better fashion to which he replied I guess not and moved on to the next item.
Pete

Hey thanks fluffster...

I have been on the website & between there & the building regulation site i've been gathering info..

I seem to have caused myself alot of grief & problems to come, once i try to sell my flat..

I installed the frames perfectly, but the glass I fitted is 4-6-4 14mm toughend glass that obvioulsly does not comply with the building regulations.. No Argon gas... I contacted the glass supplier & they told me its a rating of about U+2.8 for those panes.
Building regs minimum is 2.0 & the smallist size panes that comply with the regs seem to come out at 20mm thick.. I am not sure what the maximum thickness of glass my sash frames can take is.. (i'll check this evening)

Mostly though its the whole fact of the expense,.
I'm not sure of the best route to follow.. Do I now contact my local borough & fill out a regularisation form, pay the costs to get a building surveyor in, just to tell me what i already know, run the risk of getting fined for not following the building regulations & being told that the windows will not pass the regs.maybe even Rip em out & start again sunshine.

Or should I get a FENSA registered company in to advice me on what to do..

Its a puzzler.. I do not want to waste money & would just like to get the job sorted..

Any Ideas?

Just re read your op if you installed them 2 years ago well I would not worry. Just say they were in the property when you purchased it.
When do u intend to sell?
Pete

Sponsored Links
I wont be selling for at least a year. as the property (ground floor flat) is just at the beginning stages of underpinning.. (Yes, another drama)

It did cross my mind pete, to say that the windows where there when I purchased the flat, but i'm not sure if a surveyor could check back through passed surveys & find out that there was never double glazing within the property..
That inturn could lead into a nightmare at the point of sale..

I know that whilst I'm still living there the windows are fine & i will not need to worry about it. Its only that I'm an honet chap & a £5000 fine for not complying with building regulations scares me.. It would not be a problem untill i am ready to sell at which stage i guess i'd have to either

1)Blag it by saying they are the original window frames & I just had the double glazed panes/units fitted in.

2) get the local councils building surveyor in to check em out & tell me what i would need to do & maybe/possibly sign it off.(At an expense i'd rather not pay to my local authourity, as i already pay a huge council tax bill for what i belive is not a good service)

3) Get in a FENSA registered company in to advise & proberly refit the windows.

4) Play dumb like i aint got a clue whats happening..

I just hang my head in shame at not knowing about the building regulations that cover windows.. Its a real eye opener & whats looking to be a real wallet hurter to...

For now I'll just live with the windows as they are lovely traditional sliding sashes with 14mm doubleglazing.. They meet every standard that i could ever think of. They open & close & keep the rain out of my flat..
They may not have a u rating of 2.0 or below.. They may not have a trickle vent for air circulation. but they work & looked after, should last another 20-30 maybe even a 100 years..

Rant over...

P.S
If any one knows of where i can get a dodgy FENSA certifcate i'll pay highly... :LOL:

Joe
To be honest you are worrying too much. If you having the place underpinned the next survey will be concentrating on that aspect and will not be investigating windows that look in good nick but are years old.
The phrase I am not aware is greatly used when a surveyor asked an awkward question.
Pete

My girlfriend says the self same thing.. I worry to much..

& i'll remember that 'I am not aware' phrase when the time comes & the surveyor is asking those arkward questions!!!

Thanks again pete... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back