DNO Seals - Tamperproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard/read several times about DNO seals been tamperproof or to put it another way I've heard it been said 'They can tell if the seal has been interfered with'.

My mother years back worked cleaning a holiday cottage and the chap who owned it when he was doing some electrical work had a way of 'untwisting the seal and squashing/twisting it back again"!!?? (but I think the seals there were older lead ones)

Anybody explain this more/heard of these things?

PS not thinking of actually doing it

Sponsored Links
They are crimped on, so the only way to remove them is to cut the wire or destroy the seal.

The seals can not be bought, and even if you manage to procure some, you will not have DNO crimping pliers to apply them with.

They are by no means 'tamper-proof' they are Tamper Evident. IE: the only way to get them off is by cutting them, and that shows. You cant loosen off the crimped part without scratching the metal, which shows up, especially if its years old.

Some electricians cut them in a place where they can by put back on so that the cut is hidden by the nibs on the cutout or inside the hole in the screw on the meter.

This topic comes up about once a fortnight so try searching the forum for more info.

I've got some somewhere from my lecky board days.

Never used one, like said you need (serial numbered!) crimping pliers and evan though many board sparks are lazy and use pliers to crimp it, the local leccy board would be a whole lot more distressed about finding a newly rewired house with a board seals on the meter than an unsealed one.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, there are seperate seals on the meter itself and on the terminals. Some of the digital ones have seperate seals for the supply in and out terminals, which is not much use when you have to upgrade the tails as well.

Best I ever saw was holes in the supply in and out tails that looked about the size of 4" nails.

The jump leads were long gone though.

The seals can not be bought, and even if you manage to procure some, you will not have DNO crimping pliers to apply them with.
They are, or were, on e-bay & the DNO for this area do not use any special crimpers to fit them. :eek: :confused:

My DNO seals were cut when I moved into the house ;)

So were mine ;)
But we’ve had a meter change so now we've got bright shiny new seals everywhere :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back