Do I have ring circuits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my house rewired a couple of years ago and I'd like to learn a bit more about electrics.

In my Consumer Unit, each of the MCBs for my sockets (upstairs, downstairs, kitchen sockets) have 2 brown wires coming out of the top. All of the MCBs for lights have one brown wire.

Doers this indicate that my sockets have been wired in a Ring circuit? 1 live for power out and 1 return?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Not necessarily. It is possible for radial circuits to be wired with two wires from each MCBs.

And it's not power out and return, it's power to both ends of the ring. The power 'returns' on the neutral

Thanks Owain, that makes sense.

I think another clue is that the MCBs are all 32a - that indicates ring circuit right?

Yes, they are apparently ring circuits - although nothing is impossible.

It would be very unlikely someone would have wired two radials to each MCB.

Sponsored Links
If 32A MCB and single core conductors (i.e. the wires aren't stranded like flex) then 98% chance they're rings.

Thanks Owain, that makes sense.

I think another clue is that the MCBs are all 32a - that indicates ring circuit right?

Probably. Could be a 32A radial though, which would normally be wired with 4mm cable. They're quite unusual though.

Thanks everyone.

On the 6a lighting radial the following cable is used - can anyone tell what the size is (I think it should be 1mm²?)

IMG_1115.JPG

As you had the rewire a couple of years ago, you should have paperwork stating all these things.

Then again ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back