Do I have to use a ball valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, tried looking for this in FAQ's etc, but drew a blank.

I need to replace the ball float valve on my cold water header tank. I could just do a like for like replacement. But I'm thinking I may use one of the newer WC cistern valves such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-brass-shank-side-entry-fill-valve/49088

My reason for wanting to do this, is that the old 'ball' type valves have a 'progressive' shut-off where they slowly close as the water level rises. The flow rate of the valve reduces, getting slower and slower until eventually shutting off. The time can be quite considerable and all the while there is an annoying drip, drip, or hiss.

The newer WC valves have a (in my humble opinion) better system that provides near full flow right until the level is reached, then they shut off rather quickly. They also appear to be quieter.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a high pressure side entry WC type float valve on my header tank?

Regards,

Glenn

Sponsored Links
I know exactly what you mean, and I had been asked to do what you said I replaced it with the rapid shut off type, BUT as soon as I tried it as it shut off it vibrated badly so don't bother or be prepared to change it back.

Been , done ,T shirt - years ago with a Torbeck :mrgreen:

part 2 ballvalve is the right thing for the job whats the prob with it shutting off slowly you don't live in the loft do you ?

Sponsored Links
BUT as soon as I tried it as it shut off it vibrated badly so don't bother or be prepared to change it back.

If you have fitted a Torbeck valve and it is noisy or vibrating contact Opella - they have a modification which they will send you FOC. I have fitted them to two Torbecks and they now work fine.

Opella contact: [email protected]

BUT as soon as I tried it as it shut off it vibrated badly so don't bother or be prepared to change it back.

If you have fitted a Torbeck valve and it is noisy or vibrating contact Opella - they have a modification which they will send you FOC. I have fitted them to two Torbecks and they now work fine.

Opella contact: [email protected]

Come on then whats the mod I could do with learning something too?

part 2 ballvalve is the right thing for the job whats the prob with it shutting off slowly you don't live in the loft do you ?

I did some work on a house and they had loft converted so no room for the cold water tank, so it was sat on a support fixed between the two walls OVER the stairs. Visible, so they could hear it filling easily, not just in the loft out of the way, I said I would fit a torbeck and after fitted it vibrated and the noise when closing was worse than with the ball valve.That was about 6 years ago, Any news on improvement I could do with knowing too.javascript:emoticon(':?:')

I did some work on a house and they had loft converted so no room for the cold water tank, so it was sat on a support fixed between the two walls OVER the stairs. Visible, so they could hear it filling easily, not just in the loft out of the way, I said I would fit a torbeck and after fitted it vibrated and the noise when closing was worse than with the ball valve.That was about 6 years ago, Any news on improvement I could do with knowing too.javascript:emoticon(':?:')

which is the reason you use a torbeck for the bog & a brass part two ballvalve for the roof tank, plus unless you can keep the water within 8" of the torbeck then the ballon bit will be just as noisy

Come on then whats the mod I could do with learning something too?

As the tank reaches the full point ripples on the surface of the water can cause the Torbeck valve to open and close rapidly resulting in, in my case, a screeching noise. Opella supplies a replacement cap and seal insert which allow the valve to function normally but which keep the valve shut even when the surface of the water in the tank is oscillating. Fitting the replacement parts is a two minute job. Opella supplies fitting instructions with the new parts.

I had the Torbeck valve fitted to my cold water storage tank when it was moved and raised in the loft. The old ball valve was incredibly noisy and, of course, because these valves shut off progressively the noise went on for ages. The Torbeck valve with the new parts fitted is virtually silent.

Hope this helps.

gwyndy,
Are you saying that Torbeck/Opella supply a separate "cap and seal" that will retrofit a Torbeck side entry valve?

Are you saying that Torbeck/Opella supply a separate "cap and seal" that will retrofit a Torbeck side entry valve?
Opella sent me two retrofit kits FOC both for noisy side entry Torbeck valves.

E-mail their sales office and explain your problem. They are very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back