DO I need a full rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is over 100 years old, not sure how old the wiring is but the fusebox definitely needs replacing, my dad says if I unscrew a socket point and the wires are covered in plastic then I don't need a rewire, just a new fusebox so that i can increase the number of sockets in my house (currently only 7 for a three bed house!!!) Is he right/wrong? I know its hard to say without seeing it but some idea so that when I get an electrician around and he tells me I definitely need a complete rewire I know I am not getting ripped off, its so difficult when you are on your own and have less than no idea!!!

Thanks

Sma

Sponsored Links
Your Dads suggestion is a good place to start - and you are right another would be the Yellow pages.

Its a common misconception that all Sparkys only ever say rewire (like all plumbers are too fat to get under the bath (ok bad example!!)

It certainly sounds like your wiring will need some updating. Old non plastic wiring will certainly need to be replaced. Plastic wiring lasts for years, but it does eventually wear out. More often though it is that the circuit design that becomes out of date. In your situation you have too few sockets etc. The wiring regulations have also become more stringent.

Older wiring typically used radial circuits (nothing wrong with them I know), lighting wiring without earthing. You probably don't have RCD protection for sockets that can be used externally and earth bonding is below modern requirements etc etc etc.

Getting a professional sparky is the best thing to do. Most will provide a free survey or can be paid to provide a formal inspection. Get a couple of opinions/ estimates.

You can always come back to this forum with their advice. If you have a digital camera you also always post pictures of the Fuesbox, sockets etc. This forum loves nothing better than identifying every possible fault in a set of photos.

Can you describe the fusebox? does it contain a row of pull out flat topped fuses made of bakerlite. These would either be coloured or have coloured spots on them as well as writing to indicate their rating? This kind of fuse is still made and used. Or Are they really old made of china completely?

How do you plan to sort this? It might be strictly true that the wiring is still serviceable and safe (if it is pvc), but with so few sockets you virtually need to rewire anyway to get a sufficient number. Are you thinking to get someone to do this (desireable if you havn't a clue about wiring)? It will make a gorgeous mess knocking holes in the walls to do it properly. So you might have to think about redecorating everywhere once its done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back