Do I need Planning Permission for a Conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, not sure if I have posted this thread in the right place but I need some advice on planning and building conservatories. Now I assume that I would need planning permission for a conservatory no matter the size as it is classed as an extension, but another forum told me if it is under a certain size it does not need planning permission. I have also read that it will need to meet a variety of building regulations. The thing is im a bit of a newbie to the building trade and haven't really got too much of an idea who to speak to or to ask.

Rather than just go straight to a company I want to know the in's and out's of whats going to be done. Plus it will stop any cowboy builders overcharging me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/url]

Sponsored Links
You’ve not got that quiet right; a conservatory is not classed as an extension if it meets certain parameters & it’s Building Regs exempt as long as it complies with those parameters. It’s important you understand the difference between Planning Permission & Building Rgulations; they serve quiet different functions but can be mutually exclusive so you may need one but not the other. You will not need PP for a conservatory or an extension within certain parameters providing permitted develop rights have not been withdrawn unless it’s a listed property or in a conservation area; but you should always check with the LABC. Building Regulations approval is not required if it meets the parameters for being BR exempt (as in a conservatory, porch, garage etc.)

The guide you posted may be similar to the official guide but I would suggest you read the guide on the government website rather than a 3rd party guide;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/

Additionally at least 50% of area that will form the external boundary/edge of the conservatory must be glazed and 75% of the roof area to be covered with either glass or polycarbonate.

The above Planning Portal also contains many other useful guides.

Building Regs & PP would have been a more appropriet forum but no matter. ;)

Must agree with Richard the planning portal is the place to find out, even I have a look to remind myself every so often

regards

conservatorysurveyor

Sponsored Links
Best thing to do is speak to your planning dept AND your building control dept.

They do not bite and will expalin the rules that apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back