do i need planning to put sewage system in outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

me and my wife are thinking about constructing a timber framed out building in our garden, the purpose for this building is to run a small hairdresser salon, but in order for us to do this we would need to connect the building up to the sewer for toilet and basins.

The building itself would be except from planning but im not sure what the legislation would be for the waste water, just wondering if anyone out their new.

Sponsored Links
You would need building regulations approval for the new drainage (assuming the connection is to a drain on your own property).
Otherwise, you would need to contact your utilities company.

You say your building doesn't need planning permission; are you sure?

hello

The building itself would be except from planning

As per Tony,

The building itself may not require planning permission but it sounds like the use of the building may? Have you got it in writing from the Local Authority to confirm they agree with you regarding this?

The sewage work does not require planning but if it relates to a non-incidental use then it does. Its all about the use of the building as to whether it requires planning.

You would need building regulations approval for the new drainage (assuming the connection is to a drain on your own property).
Otherwise, you would need to contact your utilities company

I think that BR approval will be needed for any option, whether the pipe connects to an existing drain on the property or directly into the sewer

Sponsored Links
Needs Building Regs.

Can't believe you won't need PP - this is not a domestic shed/summerhouse etc.

And as it will be a place of work, all sorts of other regs will come into force - the Electricity At Work Regulations will make it impossible, liability-wise, for the electrical work to be DIYd. And I'm sure there will be H&S stuff re fire etc.

PLI policies may have Ts'n'Cs to consider.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back