do I need to have the system flushed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new combi boiler fitted two years ago, using existing radiators.
There was no problem with the radiators at the time.
The bathroom rad started leaking-it had corroded at the bottom and it is now disconnected and the pipes to it are capped.The system is working fine.
When the rad is replaced, do I need to have the system flushed or power flushed?
Fernox or something like it was added to the system when I had the new boiler.

Sponsored Links
Find a drain cock low down somewhere. and let some water out. (Or from a rad connection if no drain cock)

Any sign of greyness in the water means there's carp in there.
Draining it and refilling with corrosion inhibitor is a DIY job, so I'd suggest you do that and see how bad it is.

If it IS bad, there's usually an underlying reason to be investigated first. Those usually cause pressure drops, but with a leaky rad you WOULD have had that anyway!

Are you sure that was really added?
Very odd for a system to rot through two years after the boiler was insatlled. It should have been cleaned, pressure tested and protected.
Which boiler is it exactly?

Merely seeing a charge on an invoice is not proof of use of inhibitor!

Having the dated sticker is not proof either but an better indicator.

Do you have a completed inhibitor sticker on your system?

Tony

Sponsored Links
its an existing rad and is the most common one on the system that corrodes ,the bathroom one due to the moisture in air and if toilet close by bad aimers.

A combi will find existing week spots on old rads and show them up .

ChrisR has given best advice unlike the other 2 who always want to jump in and blame someone

Are you sure that was really added?
Very odd for a system to rot through two years after the boiler was insatlled. It should have been cleaned, pressure tested and protected.
Which boiler is it exactly?
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I'm sure it was added because I saw him do it. He also left me the leaflet - it was Fernox 290ml Superconcentrate.
I also saw the plumber flush the radiators and he showed me at the time that the water was clean when it came out after over 20 years of use.
The rads are 20 years old so I suppose one eventually gave out, but the others look fine.
I think I'll just wait for the plumber to fix the rad and check things.

its an existing rad and is the most common one on the system that corrodes ,the bathroom one due to the moisture in air and if toilet close by bad aimers.

A combi will find existing week spots on old rads and show them up .

ChrisR has given best advice unlike the other 2 who always want to jump in and blame someone
Thanks for your post. The toilet rad looks OK-spot on aim every time.

Yes, I'm sure it was added because I saw him do it. He also left me the leaflet - it was Fernox 290ml Superconcentrate.
Concentrate of what? Cleaner? Descaler?

Only INHIBITOR added at the end of the process AFTER the last drain down will protect your system, nothing else matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back