Do my windows need replacing soon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of trying to eliminate drafts and make my home more energy efficient, and one thing I need to do is re-seal around the frame of my windows.

In the process i have been trying to figure out how old they are, to gauge if they are coming to a point they need replacing. I cant find any record of them being fitted on the FENSA database so either they were fitted by someone local or theyre old.

I found the following markings inside the frame and wondered if this might indicate the windows were manufactured in 93?
20240311_140833.jpg

Sponsored Links
You do not need new windows to seal round the frames.

Is there anything wrong with the windows themselves?

It wasn't so much i wanted new windows to reseal, I am just going to remove what is around the current windows and re-apply.

What im essentially asking is would the marking in the inside of the frame indicate the windows were made around 1993?

The follow up would be that i know windows typically have around a 20 year predicted lifespan so might i expect to need to replace them in the next few years?

For now I just want to reseal what i can and make them last as long as possible.

If some of the panes start to leak and go misty, new panes can be fitted at modest cost.

Sponsored Links
The 93 could well be referring to a year but suspect it was when the spacer bar was made, that said it's still a good indication of age as bars don't stay in stock for years after being made

What's the thickness of the pane? That to me would be a better indicator of age.

They look too shiny and new to be 30 years old.

I wouldn't replace DG windows unless I really had to. Yes the newer ones might be more thermally efficient and save you a bit of cash on your heating, but the return on investment is so poor, you'd be better off spending those thousands of pounds on several holidays to somewhere nice and warm.

Hard to say if your windows need replacing from a small picture of spacer bar. The 93 maybe a red herring it's hard to say. If the windows themselves are in good condition ( the physical upvc ) and you are happy with the styles then honestly I wouldnt replace. You can reseal, buy new rubber seals, buy new ' trims ' replace handles , hinges, locks and sealed units all for much less of the cost ( and less disruption of new window fitting). As has been mentioned the return from savings on heating to the initial outlay of new energy efficient windows isn't actually that large, it would take many years to recoup that , especially as yours are already double glazed. Most figures on savings from the industry are based on old single glazed windows. Even with double glazing you could just upgrade the sealed units to more energy efficient sealed units.... we do that as standard these days when replacing misted sealed units for customers

If the seal around the window is still intact then you're good to go. New windows have trickle vents fitted as standard but if you want to keep the old window you can still have them fitted to help with airflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back