Votes: 10 45.5%
  • C

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Indeed...Winding down...getting older..Finances not as desperate.Rest of life,making more quality time and Health become more important for me anyway than chasing money constantly.

That was my intention a few years ago. Decided to take early retirement and spend more time with my disabled wife and potter in my shed or garden. It lasted about 1 month before she said I should get a job and out from under her feet. LOL Got a part time job at CP which was ok, lads and lasses were good fun but the work was not mentally taxing enough. Quickly got to the stage where I could probably do it with half the concentration it needed. Also a bit fed up of the 40 mile round trip 2 days a week so applied for a caretakers job at the local college. Hadn't heard anything about a month after the closing date so assumed I hadn't got it then out of the blue I got a phone call. The guy confirmed I hadn't got it because I was over qualified, however, he had a part time position he thought may appeal to me and which he thought my experience would come in handy. Had a quick interview the following day and he offered me the job so I accepted. The following morning he called me back and asked if he could persuade me to go full time. So I'm back at work doing something completely different and loving it. The beauty is, every day is different and can change by the hour so no chance of becoming humdrum.

Sponsored Links
Indeed...Winding down...getting older..Finances not as desperate.Rest of life,making more quality time and Health become more important for me anyway than chasing money constantly.

That was my intention a few years ago. Decided to take early retirement and spend more time with my disabled wife and potter in my shed or garden. It lasted about 1 month before she said I should get a job and out from under her feet. LOL Got a part time job at CP which was ok, lads and lasses were good fun but the work was not mentally taxing enough. Quickly got to the stage where I could probably do it with half the concentration it needed. Also a bit fed up of the 40 mile round trip 2 days a week so applied for a caretakers job at the local college. Hadn't heard anything about a month after the closing date so assumed I hadn't got it then out of the blue I got a phone call. The guy confirmed I hadn't got it because I was over qualified, however, he had a part time position he thought may appeal to me and which he thought my experience would come in handy. Had a quick interview the following day and he offered me the job so I accepted. The following morning he called me back and asked if he could persuade me to go full time. So I'm back at work doing something completely different and loving it. The beauty is, every day is different and can change by the hour so no chance of becoming humdrum.

Conny, similar thing...

Retired from school, was on a governors' panel at the local comp for a part time teacher of maths and English. Appointed a guy, who subsequently pulled out days before starting. Head rang me, and said, "This is your background, fancy helping us out?" Half a term's work, about 5 hours a week. Following year, ring ring. "Can you teach Btech Uniformed Public Services, sixth form to a group of ne'er-do-wells?" Took them through a year and half and they all passed something. Eight hours a fortnight on 2 days each week. Great. Retired now. For now!

Sponsored Links
Do like my work/life balance taken a while to fine tune but most importantly never let people or companies coerce you into over committing.

Do like my work/life balance taken a while to fine tune but most importantly never let people or companies coerce you into over committing.

As long as you get your strong black coffee in the morning. :mrgreen:

Seriously can't fathom how people drink that.

As long as you get your strong black coffee in the morning. :mrgreen:

Seriously can't fathom how people drink that.
Hah in fact my first drink of the days goes like this.

Handfull of Spinach
1 Stick celery
1/2 thumb ginger
8 Red grapes or similar.

400ml water and wizzup in a shake maker.

Epic stuff.

Black coffee i guess i have once a day is about 10am or sometime in the morning depending on how hard i have to stress the brain cell.

Hah in fact my first drink of the days goes like this.

Handfull of Spinach
1 Stick celery
1/2 thumb ginger
8 Red grapes or similar.

400ml water and wizzup in a shake maker.

Epic stuff.

Black coffee i guess i have once a day is about 10am or sometime in the morning depending on how hard i have to stress the brain cell.

I'll try that. Thanks.

I'll try that. Thanks.
Please do, it's my absolute goto nearly every day of my life. Read up on the ingredients or you may be aware of the properties of all involved already. Needless to say it's just the best nutrient and hydration kick start to every day. Enjoy. (sometimes i add lime and other bits to tweak)
Let me know how you get on.

Also a bit fed up of the 40 mile round trip 2 days a week so applied for a caretakers job at the local college.

That same trip, every day, would have driven me completely nuts. Throughout my working life I sought out maximum variety, something new to deal with every day, never two days the same, never two destinations to drive to the two days running. I never minded long hours, never minded not being able to plan a day and stick to the plan, never minded sticking at it late into the night, sometimes early hours, if it would make a difference and get an issue sorted.

In my 20's I was approached to ask if I could go to Italy for a couple of month contract to sort a job out which had been abandoned by a homesick predecessor. I had no passport, nothing much holding me in the UK, so I jumped at the chance, but had just two days to get a passport. I decided it might be longer than 2 months, drove to the passport office with a letter of urgent need, gave up my flat, sold my car and was on the plane just two days later. I ended up being out there on the contract for a year.

The 40 mile round trip 2 days a week was quite interesting because most of the journey was through Thetford forest where you might see all manner of wildlife. Unlike driving a 50 mile round trip to Newmarket along the A14 for 20 miles each way for that journey.
A 2 week secondment to Heinz as a temporary 'on site engineer' turned into a 2 year stay and a 2 week 'help out' at a Chesterfield branch of the company turned into 3 months. In both cases I loved the work and the different people I was continually meeting. Working long or extended hours never bothered me because it was the nature of the job. We operated a 24/7 service 365 days of the year, and yes, there was the odd Christmas, New Year or Easter that I worked but the pay was good for doing it.

Sponsored Links
Back