Does any one have a solution to this one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved in 4 years ago and immediately emulsioned the dining room (attached to the kitchen). I did no prep and am unsure whether the existing paint was silk or matt but I covered with Crown silk.

Everything fine until Mrs. DHL wanted to change colour yesterday! I filled the dinks and holes and whilst sanding the filler down some of the paint I put on was peeling off! A whole day of graft later whilst sugar soaping, the paint peeled more. It is coming off like a coffee jar lid - you think you have a large bit an it leaves a bit behind! The paint is very stretchy and looks like it has not adhered. I sanded again but when wet it starts to peel again! You can rub it with your finger and it rolls up - a bit like blu tack!

Do I have to remove all of the top coat and if so is there an easy way - well quicker way - and what do I have to do to the walls to allow normal emulsion to go on top.

Or is there a simple solution?

Or do I call a plasterer!

Please help

David :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Might be worth trying to trying to take all the paint off if it comes off that easy.Maybe peel it off using hot water.If it doesn't work out you could get it skimmed over.

Roughcaster.

It isn't coming off that easily - but will it be okay to paint after its off?

I think you will only know that when the old problem paint has been removed.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
You will still need to get off before its skimmed , i have skimmed a couple of ceilings over the years where the pva reacts with gloss paint , and at some time through applying the 2nd coat the paint blisters and you have to scrape the whole lot off .No short cuts i`m affraid .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back