Does my Burner need replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a week ago I had my annual boiler serviced by a professional chap who told me in no uncertain terms that the burner was rusted up and needs replacing asap. Alarm bells started to ring when he said 'I would have shown it to you if I was not in such a hurry'' and it will cost around £200.00 to fix a new one.
So after he went I decided to take a look at the burner myself, I pulled the panel off the front of the boiler and unscrewed the flash screen to take a look. The burner had a small amount of rust on one of the holes but overall very little rust. I put the boiler back and I checked that the flames were burning in a neat way through the inspection hole and they were
My question is; does the burner need replacing or was this guy trying to rip me off. Also I checked the part out to replace and it works out at around £80.00.
Would it be hard to replace, could a competent DIYer do it?
Oh the boiler is a Worcester 35CDi combination running on LPG.

Sponsored Links
No you can't change it yourself. If you don't like the first guy, get a second opinion from another RGI.

if he was a professional and he was registered then why are you doubting him isnt that why you got him in in the first place to check your boiler over (service) and he raised the issues thad need adressing

Sponsored Links
Personally if i was servicing a boiler and was goimg to charge a further 200 quid im sure i could spare the 30 seconds to show you the fault,very strange he didnt

if he was a professional and he was registered then why are you doubting him isnt that why you got him in in the first place to check your boiler over (service) and he raised the issues thad need adressing

There are many certificate holders in all walks of life who are bordering on adequate. Holding a certificate does not confirm expertise, nor does being a professional guarantee honesty.

Namsag makes a good point.

There are many certificate holders in all walks of life who are bordering on adequate. Holding a certificate does not confirm expertise, nor does being a professional guarantee honesty.

Namsag makes a good point.

bang on the money there oilman ;)

Many thanks folks for your advise, looks like I need a second opinion by a professional. Can anyone say if the burner with a little rust is OK or should I replace ASAP??
thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back