Does this look ok? - Kitchen Plugs

This type of bodge gets my goat. I know 433.2.2 is a get out, but it also makes reference to 434.2.1, which specifically suggests reinforcing the protection of the wiring against external influences.
I'm not sure that I'd call it a 'get out'....

...Are you saying that, whenever you install a fused spur off a 32A ring or radial final circuit, you connect the FCU to the ring/radial with 4mm² cable, or use 2.5mm² with 'reinforced protection'?

... and, indeed, what if it's an unfused spur off a 32A ring final? Again, do you always use 4mm² cable (or 2.5mm² with reinforced protection) for that, as well? (the only upstream cable protection being the 32A MCB)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for all the comments, a lot of it I don't understand. This is the first time I've had a chance to strip down the kitchen to brick level since moving in a few years ago.

The light switch wire has no earth just two wires although some light switches in the rest of the house have 3 (earth). Some plugs have on/off switches some don't.

Someone asked if the cooker switch is a 1mm something - I don't know - it looks like the sort of cable that comes out of a ceiling with a bulb on the end of it. (the cable was just lying pretty much as you see it - loose in the rubble). Someone also asked if "it's on the load side" - again I don't know/understand.

I also genuinely believe that the house needs a whole re-wire but I just simply can't afford that. I also have no experience at calling out tradesmen because I was in the Army for years - will cost me to get someone out just to have a look? The house is a typical 3 bed semi/lounge/dining (one room)/bath/garage/hall - what sort of price, obviously very roughly but what sort of price bracket is a whole re-wire.

Thanks

Hi thanks for all the comments, a lot of it I don't understand. This is the first time I've had a chance to strip down the kitchen to brick level since moving in a few years ago.
As you were told in the first response, most of it is acceptable. The great majority of subsequent exchanges in the thread have been about 'quibbling', which I don't think you need to concern yourself with.
The light switch wire has no earth just two wires although some light switches in the rest of the house have 3 (earth).
That's potentially a bit of an issue. The switch is plastic, and therefore is safe without any earth. However, in the absence of an earth, that metal box behind it could, under some fault condistions, become 'live', which would mean that the screws holding the switch onto the box could also become live - theoretically, if you want to avoid re-wiring, you therefore should change those screws to plastic ones. Perhaps more of a concern is that if there is no earth at the light switch, that might be true throughout the lighting circuit. If you had any metal-bodied lighting fittings (e.g. basic fluorescent tube fittings), that could be a potential safety hazrad.
Someone asked if the cooker switch is a 1mm something - I don't know - it looks like the sort of cable that comes out of a ceiling with a bulb on the end of it. (the cable was just lying pretty much as you see it - loose in the rubble). Someone also asked if "it's on the load side" - again I don't know/understand.
That's the 'quibbling' - don't worry about it.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back